The Effect of Agitation Parameter on Hardness and Thickness of Decorative Nickel-Chrome Coating on A36 Steel using Electroplating Process
Keywords:Electroplating, Nickel, Chrome, rpm Stirrer, A36
AbstractElectroplating is a process of settling substances (metal ions) on the electrodes (cathodes) using electrolysis. The occurrence of a precipitate in this process is due to the presence of electrically charged ions moving from an electrode through the electrolyte, the result of the electrolyte will seal on another electrode (cathode). During the process of deposition/deposit takes place a chemical reaction occurs at the electrode and electrolyte both reduction in a certain direction permanently, therefore it requires direct current and a constant voltage. Metal coatings commonly used are copper, nickel, chromium, and others. Electroplating is basically to coat the metal to make it look more attractive and protected from corrosion, and can increase the product's resistance to friction. The purpose of this study was to determine the effect of stirrer rpm variations on the thickness and thickness of the A36 steel layer in the decorative nickel-chrome electroplating process. 4 specimens in this study were 30x30x2 (mm). Nickel and chromium coatings have variations in the speed of 72, 102, 132, and 162 (rpm) with a time immersion of 22 minutes and with a temperature of 55-60 ° C. The results of this electroplating process were tested by Vickers's hardness test and observation of microstructure results. The results showed that the faster the rpm, the more hardness was obtained which increased and the thickness of the layer increased. The highest hardness and thickness values are found at a rotational speed of 132 rpm. With a hardness value of 77.5 VHN and a thickness value of 4.55 µm (Nickel) and 13.76 µm (Chrome).
1. M. azhar Ahmad, “Analisa Pengaruh Besar Tegangan Listrik Terhadap Ketebalan Pelapisan Chrom Pada Pelat Baja Dengan Proses Elektroplating,” pp. 1–84, 2011.
2. A. J. Wiley, Modern Electroplating. 2010.
3. R. Niko, “Pengaruh Waktu dan Temperatur Larutan Pelapisan dengan Metode Elektroplating Nikel pada Baja Dengan Bantuan Magnetic Stirrer terhadap Ketebalan dan Kekasaran Permukaan Lapisan.,”, pp. 46–47, 2018.5. R. D. R. N. Mabruri, “Pengaruh Kekasaran Permukaan dan Kecepatan Pengadukan terhadap Karakteristik Lapisan Nirelektrik Ni-P pada Baja Tahan Karat Martensitik.” 2018.
6. Dieter, “Mechanical metallurgy - Dieter_ George Ellwood.pdf.” 1987.
7. S. A. Sajjadi, H. R. Ezatpour, and H. Beygi, “Microstructure and mechanical properties of Al-Al2O3 micro and nanocomposites fabricated by stir casting,” Mater. Sci. Eng. A vol. 528, no. 29–30, pp. 8765–8771, 2011, DOI: 10.1016/j.msea.2011.08.052.
8. A. F. Alphanoda, “Pengaruh Jarak Anoda-Katoda dan Durasi Pelapisan Terhadap Laju Korosi pada Hasil Electroplating Hard Chrome,” J. Teknol. Rekayasa, vol. 1, no. 1, p. 1, 2017, doi: 10.31544/jtera.v1.i1.2016.1-6.
9. F. Amrulloh and A. E. Palupi, “Febrian Amrulloh Aisyah Endah Palupi Abstrak,” Jtm, vol. 02, no. 3, pp. 122–128, 2014.
10. I. K. Hong, H. Kim, and S. B. Lee, “Optimization of barrel plating process for electroless Ni-P plating,” J. Ind. Eng. Chem., vol. 20, no. 5, pp. 3767–3774, 2014, DOI: 10.1016/j.jiec.2013.12.077.
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (See The Effect of Open Access).
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.